• Non city employees are prohibited from entering all city facilities.
• Payment of all utility and tax payments will only be accepted at drive-thru window at
Hamlet City Hall. We encourage phone payments and mail-in-payments.
• For Zoning Compliances, call 910-582-2651.
• The Senior Center and Hamlet Depot will be closed to the public.
- Welcome from the Mayor and City Council We would like to personally extend a heartfelt welcome to you from the City of Hamlet. We trust that you will enjoy your web visit and highly encourage you to come and see our community in person. Hamlet is truly a small town with a big heart. Small town charm, simple pleasures, serene living and community pride are just a few of the many attributes of the City of Hamlet. Whether it's at Rockingham Dragway: the "Hardest Working Dragstrip in the Southeast," or celebrating Hamlet's railroad history at the Historic Hamlet Depot & Museum, the National Railroad Museum, or the Annual Seaboard Festival and the historic downtown area, Hamlet has something for everyone. This is a wonderful community to live, work, and play. Come and enjoy our All-American City.
- Hamlet Depot Located in the only Victorian Queen Anne train station in North Carolina, the Hamlet Depot serves as an active passenger depot as well as home to the Hamlet Depot & Museums. The hands on exhibits, visual displays, and interactive consoles encourage both young and old alike to explore the history of the Seaboard Railroad and Hamlet. From our Oral Histories to our Model Railroad to the Tornado Locomotive Replica, the Hamlet Depot & Museums offer something fun for everyone!
- All America City If you are looking for a place to locate your home or business, we think you will be impressed with our community. We proved that Hamlet is a special place by winning the “All American City” award for 1990 Welcome to our community!
- Tornado Building The Tornado Building is part of the Hamlet Depot & Musem. It houses a replica of a Tornado Locomotive.
- Hamlet Public Library Hamlet is a community of readers. This is evident by the support the library receives from the citizens and local government. Hamlet is proud of the fact that twenty-five years after its charter was granted, the first library was established. From its humble beginning of a few books, its growth has required several expansions.
- Hub Of the Seaboard Founded in 1897 at the crossing of two tracks, Hamlet functioned as division headquarters for the Seaboard Airline Railroad. Upwards of 30 passenger trains daily passed through Hamlet. Downtown boomed with travelers and workers of the railroad. Hotels, shops, and restaurants served this thriving community.
- South Hamlet Spring time flowers by the sign in South Hamlet.
- Birthplace of John Coltrane Proud birth place of jazz great John Coltrane. Local businessmen have worked to renovate the location of his birth.
- July 4th Celebration The City of Hamlet hosts the Annual Fireworks Display Show for the citizens of Hamlet as well as others. The fireworks are shot from the Hamlet Fairgrounds and may be viewed at a number of locations.
April 14, 2020
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
May 12, 2020
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, Ma7 12, 2020 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
June 9, 2020
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
July 14, 2020
The Hamlet City Council will meet on Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:00 PM... READ MORE→
News & Notices
April 4, 2020
Please be advised due to Governor Cooper’s Executive Order No. 121 that reduces the size of gatherings to 10 people, the Public Hearing scheduled for April 14, 2020 for the Closing of the Alleyway off of Champlain St. has been postponed until May 12, 2020 at 7 PM... READ MORE→
April 1, 2020
The City of Hamlet is currently recruiting to hire a new City Manager. Located in Richmond County, Hamlet has a population of approximately 6500 and is centrally located between Raleigh, Charlotte, and the coast. The City is in the midst of several complex and exciting projects and is seeking an experienced municipal leader... READ MORE→
March 31, 2020
Due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 Virus, the City of Hamlet is taking every action to protect our employees. The City is that ALL garbage be placed in plastic bags, and and placed in the roll out carts provided by the City. ... READ MORE→
March 25, 2020
The City of Hamlet is currently accepting applications for a Water Plant Operator. Graduation from a recognized high school or equivalent, must have VALID NC drivers... READ MORE→