Water Payment Changes
- Welcome from the Mayor and City Council We would like to personally extend a heartfelt welcome to you from the City of Hamlet. We trust that you will enjoy your web visit and highly encourage you to come and see our community in person. Hamlet is truly a small town with a big heart. Small town charm, simple pleasures, serene living and community pride are just a few of the many attributes of the City of Hamlet. Whether it's at Rockingham Dragway: the "Hardest Working Dragstrip in the Southeast," or celebrating Hamlet's railroad history at the Historic Hamlet Depot & Museum, the National Railroad Museum, or the Annual Seaboard Festival and the historic downtown area, Hamlet has something for everyone. This is a wonderful community to live, work, and play. Come and enjoy our All-American City.
- Hamlet Depot Located in the only Victorian Queen Anne train station in North Carolina, the Hamlet Depot serves as an active passenger depot as well as home to the Hamlet Depot & Museums. The hands on exhibits, visual displays, and interactive consoles encourage both young and old alike to explore the history of the Seaboard Railroad and Hamlet. From our Oral Histories to our Model Railroad to the Tornado Locomotive Replica, the Hamlet Depot & Museums offer something fun for everyone!
- All America City If you are looking for a place to locate your home or business, we think you will be impressed with our community. We proved that Hamlet is a special place by winning the “All American City” award for 1990 Welcome to our community!
- Tornado Building The Tornado Building is part of the Hamlet Depot & Musem. It houses a replica of a Tornado Locomotive.
- Hamlet Public Library Hamlet is a community of readers. This is evident by the support the library receives from the citizens and local government. Hamlet is proud of the fact that twenty-five years after its charter was granted, the first library was established. From its humble beginning of a few books, its growth has required several expansions.
- Hub Of the Seaboard Founded in 1897 at the crossing of two tracks, Hamlet functioned as division headquarters for the Seaboard Airline Railroad. Upwards of 30 passenger trains daily passed through Hamlet. Downtown boomed with travelers and workers of the railroad. Hotels, shops, and restaurants served this thriving community.
- South Hamlet Spring time flowers by the sign in South Hamlet.
- Birthplace of John Coltrane Proud birth place of jazz great John Coltrane. Local businessmen have worked to renovate the location of his birth.
- July 4th Celebration The City of Hamlet hosts the Annual Fireworks Display Show for the citizens of Hamlet as well as others. The fireworks are shot from the Hamlet Fairgrounds and may be viewed at a number of locations.
May 11, 2021
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 7:00 PM the Hamlet City Council will meet in the Council Chambers of Hamlet City Hall... READ MORE→
June 9, 2021
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:00 PM the Hamlet City Council will meet in the Council Chambers of Hamlet City Hall... READ MORE→
News & Notices
May 4, 2021
A Special Meeting has been called by the Hamlet City Council for Thursday, May 6, 2021 beginning at 3:30 pm at Hamlet City Hall, 201 W. Main Street, Hamlet NC. The meeting is a work session to prepare the 2021-2022 Budget and Closed Session for Attorney-Client Privilege per NCGS 143-318.11 (3). ... READ MORE→
May 1, 2021
The annual budget for fiscal year 2021-2022 was submitted to the Hamlet City Council on April 29, 2021. A copy of the budget is available for public inspection in the office of the City Clerk. The Hamlet City Council will hold a public hearing on the draft budget at the next regular meeting on May 11, 2021. The meeting begins at 7pm at Hamlet City Hall. ... READ MORE→
April 13, 2020
The Hamlet Senior Center is seeking a Part-time Activites Coordinator. The Activities Coordinator is responsible for developing and facilitating recreational activities, programs, classes and special events which meet the social, emotional, cognitive, spiritual and physical needs of the participants.... READ MORE→
March 14, 2020
Minutes for the latest meeting of the Hamlet City Council are now available online... READ MORE→
July 20, 2020
Anyone wishing to phone in during the Public Comments Section of the Council Meeting should contact City Clerk Gail Strickland at 910-582-2651, ext. 8, by noon on the Monday prior to the meeting to obtain instructions.... READ MORE→